A lot of powder from pellets

Byron

Reaction score
Grill
ironwood 650
Is this normal?
7074E35D-FBCB-453F-AA16-FE0A571F5029.jpeg

This clogged up the auger and became solid.

I had to chip it out ...

It’s about 4” tall and 10” wide

Last edited:
The few "solid" pellets in that picture appear to be quite swollen suggesting that either they got wet or were in the hopper for a long period of time in very humid conditions. Do you have any more pellets from the bag that those came from? If so, take a look at them. They should be shiny and hard. If they are soft and you can squish them between your fingers, throw them away. No, this is not normal unless the pellets absorbed a lot of moisture from the air or got wet during a rainstorm or sat on a damp or wet floor.

I keep my pellets in a bucket that has a perforated shelf in the bottom to let any dust through. I made the early mistake of storing my pellets in a garden shed and they become moist. Now they are in the bucket, in the garage and on a bench, problem solved.

The few "solid" pellets in that picture appear to be quite swollen suggesting that either they got wet or were in the hopper for a long period of time in very humid conditions. Do you have any more pellets from the bag that those came from? If so, take a look at them. They should be shiny and hard. If they are soft and you can squish them between your fingers, throw them away. No, this is not normal unless the pellets absorbed a lot of moisture from the air or got wet during a rainstorm or sat on a damp or wet floor.

We did have several storms, the pellets were in the hopper and they were less than a week old.

None left , I cleaned the hopper and auger out and I finished them in a cook.

The pellets were hard.

This was my second bag, first had no issues.

Now on my third bag I’m just adding what I need to cook , as I’m worried it will happen again.

It took two hours to clean it out.

Wondering if I got a defective bag of pellets.

I keep my pellets in a bucket that has a perforated shelf in the bottom to let any dust through. I made the early mistake of storing my pellets in a garden shed and they become moist. Now they are in the bucket, in the garage and on a bench, problem solved.

I filled the hopper with the 20lbs bag of pellets... I usually finish a bag in a week maybe two.

It’s not like it was there a month.

You don’t fill your hopper with the 20lbs of pellets?

I don't fill the hopper unless I have a long cook. The time they sit on there own, between cooks, could be your problem or you got a bad bag. If you can I would take the sawdust back and ask the retailer for an explanation and a refund or exchange.

I don't fill the hopper unless I have a long cook. The time they sit on there own, between cooks, could be your problem or

A bag lasts me a week ...

Yes that’s what I’m going to do, fill as I go.

you got a bad bag. If you can I would take the sawdust back and ask the retailer for an explanation and a refund or exchange.

Not worth the time

Just wondering if this is an issue

Last edited:
I don't fill the hopper unless I have a long cook. The time they sit on there own, between cooks, could be your problem or you got a bad bag. If you can I would take the sawdust back and ask the retailer for an explanation and a refund or exchange.

Gday Dave, just curious what pallets you are using and where do you get them in G town?

I was using Traeger pellets from BBQ galore, wasn't that impressed so I switched to (I think) BBQ'S delight pellets, better result but quicker burning I thought. Now I am on Southern Hardwoods, they come from Eden NSW and I bought them from the Lara Butcher I told you about. Haven't had a proper trial yet but the butcher (Andrew) swears by them. Have you been there yet? he has some great stuff as he is a dedicated smoker himself.

I was on the Traeger pallets as well I got 12 bags as part of a promotion, they were OK but i wanted to try something else after looking around I came across a place in Melbourne that sells a bulk load (pallet) of Lumberjack pallets (40 bags) and the will split a bulk pallet and stack it with different blends. So a mate and I went half's. After burning through all the Traeger pallets pretty quickly I realised that a 1/2 pallet was good value. They seem to burn hotter than the Traeger I use less per cook, and they add a great flavour.

Traeger pallets work out to be $4.44 per Kg, The LumberJack are $2.70 per Kg.
What are you paying for the Southern Hardwoods?

Still haven't been to the Lara Butcher yet, I have been a bit reluctant under our current lock down restrictions and I had a freezer full, but its on the list as soon as i can.

I picked up one of these and use it to filter out pellets before putting them in my storage bins. Gets rid of pretty much all the extra dust and small pieces. The 1/8'' model works great on Traeger brand pellets.

I was thinking of getting this ...

I was thinking of getting this ...

I almost went with that one but I kept reading that the lid didn't fit on a lot of the big retailers' standard 5-gallon buckets.

Also don't really see how the dust doesn't end up mixing back with the pellets as you are filling your hopper.

I almost went with that one but I kept reading that the lid didn't fit on a lot of the big retailers' standard 5-gallon buckets.

Also don't really see how the dust doesn't end up mixing back with the pellets as you are filling your hopper.
They make the bucket as well. Bit expensive all up, and I have 3 of them! But is does what it says it does.

Latest Discussions

Back