850 SMOKING AND ON FIRE

Paulmccarthy007

Reaction score
Grill
Bought an 850 and used it once. Did all the correct burn off and did a small chicken breast to try it out, went well

Today tried to fore it up and after 10 minutes a fire started and the smoke was bellowing out of the augur

Switched it off

5 days old and cannot use it

NO UK support.

Cant be grease, I only cooked a breast!!

Can anyone offer advice?

Sounds like a flame -out!! Clean fire pot and check hopper pellet level and you should be back up and running!!!

Hey Paul, I had a Junior Elite that sometimes got fire up the auger and smoke in the pellet bin, usually because of wind direction in my case. As SmokeyT suggests, open the grill and clean out the fire pot. When starting the grill, start and a low temp like 180F and let it stabilize before increasing temp. Sometimes setting a high temp at ignition will cause a flare up and temperature overshoot. My current T850 had that overshoot issue quite a bit, low temps at start helped a lot.

Although I've never had that problem, RemE is right, the start up procedure is always to start on smoke (180ish) with the lid open until it smokes heavily then close the door and once the temp equalizes then increase to whatever you want. I believe that was in the manual.

When you finished your first cook, did you do a shutdown before turning it off?

Back