don.ferguson53

Reaction score
Grill
780 Pro
How can I get more smoke out of this Traeger ? Have been raised on smokers and/or built them since I was a jug eared spud eater.
Got this Traeger 780 for xmas and used 3 times. All 3 times it made me think it was a glorified wood oven with no smoke taste and only a smoke ring to show.
What can I add to improve the smokability ?

You can add a smoke tube. I've never used one.I usually cook at 170f to 180f for an hour or 2 then bump up temp to finish whatever its is im cookin.

How can I get more smoke out of this Traeger ? Have been raised on smokers and/or built them since I was a jug eared spud eater.
Got this Traeger 780 for xmas and used 3 times. All 3 times it made me think it was a glorified wood oven with no smoke taste and only a smoke ring to show.
What can I add to improve the smokability ?
I have the same one and it has been a let down. It smokes during start up and then nothing. The Customer Service says it is "Blue Smoke" that it is achieving. Did a Brisket and it had ZERO Smoke flavor and damn near no ring. i am ready to ditch this contraption....

Its a wood fired oven. If you're used to charcoal or stick burners a pellet grill is not a smoker. It does lots of temp ranges, but you will notice that Traeger advertises wood fired flavor. NOT smoke flavor. Smoke tube will give a bit more smoke flavor as its adding dirty smoke to your wood fired oven. Its a neat oven, but its an oven. But that's my thoughts! I love the Ironwood for simple cooks and set and forget cooks. However if I want real smoked foods, ill use a different smoker.

In December I sent back a SmokeFire and bought a 885. Had the SmokeFire since last February. No question that the smoke intensity of the SmokeFire is unbelievably greater than the 885. You had to back up when opening the SmokeFire. Both are downdraft units. My family prefers the flavor from the 885.

Latest Discussions

Back