780 PRO - Wifi connection issue resolved

Funky_Smoker

Reaction score
Grill
780 PRO
Im new here and thought id share my experience with getting the Trager connected to wifi.
After researching forums and what not I uncovered a few things that helped me FINALLY get it connected.

1: Make sure your home wifi is advertising a 2.4Ghz SSID. If your router provides both 2.4 and 5Ghz make sure your not just using 5Ghz by default.
2: Connect your phone to your 2.4Ghz network. Turn off Mobile Data and Bluetooth.
3: Perform a reset on the Traeger - This is typically done by pushing the Ignite button for 20 secs. After which power the unit on by pushing in the knob.
4: Check for all the advertised networks on your phone and select the AP that is being advertised by the grill. You'll find the password to the grill in the Wireless Information menu on the grill. Enter the password.
5: Now your phone can successfully connect to the grills AP. If this is not successful double check the password.
6: Go back to your Wifi settings on your phone and connect to your homes 2.4Ghz network which will disconnect you from the grills AP.
7: Launch the Traeger app and run through the steps
8: You should now see it connect and ask you to name your grill.
9: Finish setup.

Anyway, i hope this helps someone out there because I spent the last two days trying to figure this out, including a call to support which didn't help either. :)

Im new here and thought id share my experience with getting the Trager connected to wifi.
After researching forums and what not I uncovered a few things that helped me FINALLY get it connected.

1: Make sure your home wifi is advertising a 2.4Ghz SSID. If your router provides both 2.4 and 5Ghz make sure your not just using 5Ghz by default.
2: Connect your phone to your 2.4Ghz network. Turn off Mobile Data and Bluetooth.
3: Perform a reset on the Traeger - This is typically done by pushing the Ignite button for 20 secs. After which power the unit on by pushing in the knob.
4: Check for all the advertised networks on your phone and select the AP that is being advertised by the grill. You'll find the password to the grill in the Wireless Information menu on the grill. Enter the password.
5: Now your phone can successfully connect to the grills AP. If this is not successful double check the password.
6: Go back to your Wifi settings on your phone and connect to your homes 2.4Ghz network which will disconnect you from the grills AP.
7: Launch the Traeger app and run through the steps
8: You should now see it connect and ask you to name your grill.
9: Finish setup.

Anyway, i hope this helps someone out there because I spent the last two days trying to figure this out, including a call to support which didn't help either. :)
Thanks for the great info. I finally got my Pro 575 connected. The only other thing I did in addition to your list was take an extension cord and put my WIFI extender about 5 feet from the grill for the pairing process. This gave me a very strong signal of -35dB at the grill. Then I followed your steps and the pairing worked perfectly. Moved the WIFI extender back into the house afterwards and it's working fine.

Thanks for the great info. I finally got my Pro 575 connected. The only other thing I did in addition to your list was take an extension cord and put my WIFI extender about 5 feet from the grill for the pairing process. This gave me a very strong signal of -35dB at the grill. Then I followed your steps and the pairing worked perfectly. Moved the WIFI extender back into the house afterwards and it's working fine.
awesome! ya i used a wifi signal strength meter app on my phone and measured the signal strength from my phone and placed it next to the grill controller. I was good at -50 - 65 dBm so i knew i didn't need to extend the signal to my grill. Glad to hear it worked out for you. Happy grillin ;)

This worked for me. I found this step nowhere else. I added the smoker as another wifi connection on my Android phone and connected to the smoker wifi directly, then switched back to my 2.4 Ghz connection (router) and the Traeger app was able to find the grill. Thank you!

Latest Discussions

Back