64#'s of pork butt.

tskillin

Reaction score
Has anybody out there cooked 8 pork butts (roughly 64#'s)? I'm curious how long it's going to take with that much meat in the smoker. I have a Timberline 1300.

I've done 8, but they were on 2 large Big Green Eggs. I've love to see some pics.

What ever, I'd keep an eye on the drip pan on that 1300. I don't think it could handle the fat rendered out of 8 butts.

Honestly I didn't think of that till you said something. Drip tray was a 1/4" away from the top ?. That was a close one.

Ive always had trouble with crowding that much meat. Pork shoulder is pretty forgiving though. Also, there are likely to be pretty significant temp differences. Curious how the top 4 do over the bottom 4. Keep us posted and put up pics!

Honestly I didn't think of that till you said something. Drip tray was a 1/4" away from the top ?. That was a close one.

Yep! That was one reason I went with an Ironwood was the drip tray is pretty small for a grill of that capacity. It could be a fire hazard for forgetful folks. Out of sight, out of mind. Glad you caught it before you started.

Back