575 Pro

Dougolarry

Reaction score
Grill
This is my second Traeger. The 575 has been problematic since I purchased it a couple of years ago. When the weather is cool here in California, the unit has no problem running @ 165 +/- 10 degrees or so. However, when it gets above 80, the unit runs around 200 degrees even though the temperature is set to 165. I have talked to customer service a number of times ….seems to be a known problem with the 575. This week it is near 90 ….so I tried an experiment. I set up a fan to blow at the 575. Without the fan, temp ran near 200, but with the fan, the temp held at a satisfactory level. This is an FYI, in case it might help others. No response is necessary.

This is my second Traeger. The 575 has been problematic since I purchased it a couple of years ago. When the weather is cool here in California, the unit has no problem running @ 165 +/- 10 degrees or so. However, when it gets above 80, the unit runs around 200 degrees even though the temperature is set to 165. I have talked to customer service a number of times ….seems to be a known problem with the 575. This week it is near 90 ….so I tried an experiment. I set up a fan to blow at the 575. Without the fan, temp ran near 200, but with the fan, the temp held at a satisfactory level. This is an FYI, in case it might help others. No response is necessary.
curious, what are you doing at 165? Jerky?

Yes, jerky and pork ribs and pork tenderloin.
I like to cook them slow so the smoke can be absorbed. I make my own rub. The pork loin takes about 3 hours to cook. Very tender and moist. The ribs take a bit longer.

Yes, jerky and pork ribs and pork tenderloin.
I like to cook them slow so the smoke can be absorbed. I make my own rub. The pork loin takes about 3 hours to cook. Very tender and moist. The ribs take a bit longer.

I suspect this post was meant for another thread?

But to keep the topic going...I just picked up a couple of loins from Costco and will be cooking at least one of them this weekend, though! :D

It sounds like the minimum feed rate of the auger on your grill produces more heat than required to raise the grill temperature by 80 degrees or so. That is quite possible. If the minimum feed rate is too slow, there is a possibility of a flame-out.

On a hot sunny day, my Ironwood absorbs enough heat that I cannot touch the grill with my bare hands without getting burned, and that is with no fire in the grill. I live in Northern Illinois.

I responded to your comment in another thread where this was brought up. I don't think it is as much a problem with the grill as it is just basic science. If it's 90 degrees outside, especially if you are in the sun, it is probably close to 140 degrees in your grill before the fire is even lit. Trying to light a fire inside of a grill that is already over 100 degree and keep the temp inside the grill around 165 degrees is going to be hard for any grill.

I have no problem with the science…….. I posted this information as a work around…… the fan can dissipate some of the heat allowing you to cook slower if you so desire. The day I tested, it was about 85 ……we are expecting 100 degrees this week. I doubt that it will have any effect.

Latest Discussions

Back