4lb Brisket

Roughly 1 1/2 hrs a pound. Take it to 160f IT. Wrap in foil or butcher paper. Then take it to 203f IT. Then let it rest at least 1/2 hr minimum. This is roughly as cuts of meat don't cook the same. There is no exact time, to many variables. Hope this helps, and good luck!!

How long should I plan on cooking a 4lb brisket and at what temp?
Try this. Cook at 225F until the internal temp is 165F, wrap in butchers paper, back in the traeger and cook to an internal of 200F. Out and wrap the lot with a towel into a cooler for an hour and you should have a good brisket.
Here's a good video

Total beginner here. So when I put brisket in cooler, am I putting it on ice or just in an empty cooler?

Wrap it in foil, then beach towel the let it rest in cooler. NO ice.

Thank you. Didn't want to sound stupid but have always been told the stupid question is the question not asked

Thank you. Didn't want to sound stupid but have always been told the stupid question is the question not asked
EXACTLY!!

Here is a link to why meat needs to rest.

Here is a link to why meat needs to rest.
I like to let brisket rest for a minimum of 1 hour.

I've had them in the cooler up to 4 hours and they were still almost too hot to hold. The beauty of this rest method is that you can better meet dinner times by getting the cook done early, giving you a time buffer if the meat takes longer to hit final temp.

Few things worse than having friends ready, and no dinner on the table!

As others have said, the cooler rest is great. I've started doing long cooks overnight, and even when its done early (last full brisket took 16 hours), it rested in the cooler for 2+ and was perfectly set when I sliced it for dinner.

16HB2.jpg16HB1.jpg

Total beginner here. So when I put brisket in cooler, am I putting it on ice or just in an empty cooler?
Mate when I first heard Americans saying this I thought the same thing! As you said, the stupid questions are the ones unasked!

Agree. I've done 5+ hours in a cooler, still in butcher paper and wrapped in towels, and it was still too hot to touch.

Agree. I've done 5+ hours in a cooler, still in butcher paper and wrapped in towels, and it was still too hot to touch.

3 hours for me before on a pork butt and still needed my gloves to handle my pork pullers

Latest Discussions

Back