3rd attempt at Brisket

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
This is my 3rd attempt at Brisket today on the Ironwood. I threw this 8 pound brisket on this morning about a hour ago at 225 degrees. For the rub I'm using salt/pepper & a small amount of Montreal steak seasoning. I'm planning a small get together for the final episode of Game Of Thrones.

Off to a great start. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Wrap time. Added a little concreted beef broth and ready for the next stage.

Well the brisket came out pretty good. It wasn't quite as moist as I was hoping, so I'm wondering if I cut to much of the fat off while trimming. I forgot to snap a pic after cutting it up. (was too hungry!) Also the thickest part was reading 204, but the thinner parts of the brisket were much hotter 205-209. So maybe I need to pull it out a littler sooner as well? Thoughts?

Brisket is a tough project to get right. Just keep experimenting.

Also be sure when you pull it off the smoker to wrap it in a towel and let it rest in a cooler for an hour or so.

Well the brisket came out pretty good. It wasn't quite as moist as I was hoping, so I'm wondering if I cut to much of the fat off while trimming. I forgot to snap a pic after cutting it up. (was too hungry!) Also the thickest part was reading 204, but the thinner parts of the brisket were much hotter 205-209. So maybe I need to pull it out a littler sooner as well? Thoughts?
I pull mine at 195 and wrap in a towel and let rest in the cooler 1-2 hours

I inject my brisket as well and use butcher paper not foil and not trying to sound like an expert but I put quite a bit of seasoning on my brisket to get a good bark going to where you can barely see the meat. I've never had a brisket come out dry on the T850.

Never rely on the thermometer alone. It's there to get you to the last lap. The rest should be up to you and meat.

At aprox 195-ish you should start putting hands on, give the brisket a feel along with probe testing. If is stiff as board and or tough to prob it needs to cook longer. Wait another 15 or so min and test again. Youll know when it's ready to pull.

Cooked one tonight and it was ready to pull and rest at 196. At rest it reached a temp of 204 before coming back down.

That's my 2 cents. Hahah...

I usually pull mine around 194 and i also keep a little pan on the side full of water so it doesn't get too dry. like someone mentioned keep trying and you'll eventually get it perfected.

I'm going to do my first brisket on my 885 this Saturday. A monster 20 lb. packer. It's going on the top rack with a foil pan with water underneath it.

I normally use my Big Green Egg for brisket, but this puppy is too big for it and I'm dying to try it out on the Ironwood 885.

I put a light coating of yellow mustard on mine and a dusting of Burton Sausage BBQ rub on it and smoke it with Mesquite & Hickory mixed.

I think elevating it and a water pan will go a long way in keeping it from drying out before the butcher paper wrap at 170.

LIke others said, pull at 195 or so and let it rest for an hour. It will come up to temp all by itself.

I'm going to do my first brisket on my 885 this Saturday. A monster 20 lb. packer. It's going on the top rack with a foil pan with water underneath it.

I normally use my Big Green Egg for brisket, but this puppy is too big for it and I'm dying to try it out on the Ironwood 885.

I put a light coating of yellow mustard on mine and a dusting of Burton Sausage BBQ rub on it and smoke it with Mesquite & Hickory mixed.

I think elevating it and a water pan will go a long way in keeping it from drying out before the butcher paper wrap at 170.

LIke others said, pull at 195 or so and let it rest for an hour. It will come up to temp all by itself.

I did a fairly large prime brisket on the 885 last week and it was vonderful!

Attachments

• 9ij6ZftdQCe2f5YUru3F4g.jpg
    9ij6ZftdQCe2f5YUru3F4g.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 264
  • fullsizeoutput_1cd4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1cd4.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 258
I've got the same pellet tube. I thought super smoke made that not needed. Good to know it turned out well.

What temp and how long? My briskets on the Big Green Egg take about 15 hours at 210 degrees.

I've got the same pellet tube. I thought super smoke made that not needed. Good to know it turned out well.

What temp and how long? My briskets on the Big Green Egg take about 15 hours at 210 degrees.

Hmm. This one took about 12 hours. I start at 225 for about 6 hours or so until I hit the stall, then I wrap and go about 275 to try and power through it.

Hmm. This one took about 12 hours. I start at 225 for about 6 hours or so until I hit the stall, then I wrap and go about 275 to try and power through it.

Patience on the plateau pays off. It takes time for all that connective tissue and collagen to render out before the internal temp begins to climb again. I'll bump it to 250 max if I'm in a hurry, but still budget about 15 hours to smoke a whole brisket. Thanks for the info.

Latest Discussions

Back