2020 may have not been great, but at least I got a Timberline 1300 for Christmas :)

TheGrumpyGriller

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
New to the Traeger world - new to smoking of any kind. And rather than doing something simple first, I went with the "Go Big or Go Home" motto. This took longer than anticipated, and I did ramp up the temp towards the end, but it came out pretty good for a first (maybe even second) attempt. And combined with my homemade Cayenne BBQ sauce - all 13+ pounds were gone!

brisket3.jpgbrisket1.jpg

Welcome to the forum! And excellent job!!

I have a feeling you will enjoy that Timberline1300. I know I have (y)

Dang! Go big or go home is right! You went straight to the top. Enjoy that big Timberline and come back with question or to share what you've been doing with it.

LOL - Thanks and will do. Doing a bunch of wood-fired pizzas tonight. I expect that'll be much easier :)

Nice - congrats. I bought the 1300 around Father's Day last year. Once you get comfortable with certain foods - you'll soon be thinking what else you can throw on @ the same time to maximize that pellet fuel. I'm so glad I purchased the 1300 as it has so much cooking real estate. While you may not use it all the time - it comes in real handy if you want to do big cooks with the intention of having leftovers.

If you don't have one already, invest in a food saver/vacuum sealer and a sous vide for warming up leftovers. Things like brisket slices and pulled pork warm up beautifully in the sous vide - 150F for 15 minutes from frozen... and its like the day you cooked it.

Long time user of a vacuum sealer, so good there. I hadn't thought about a souse vide though....sounds like a great idea!

Thanks

Long time user of a vacuum sealer, so good there. I hadn't thought about a souse vide though....sounds like a great idea!

Thanks
It works very well in my experience. Here's a good page with a table showing some tried/true temps for the sous vide (specifically for re-heating leftover brisket). I find the same times/temps work for other meats, depending basically on how thick the meat has been packaged in the sealed packet:

Via: https://www.foodfirefriends.com/how-to-reheat-brisket/

Brisket Heating Time
Assuming that the water’s temperature is between 110°F-175°F (45°C-80°C)
Sliced Brisket

• 0.5 in (10 mm) thick: 11 min
  • 1 in (25 mm) thick: 40 min
  • 2 in (50 mm) thick: 2 hr.
  • 2.5 in (60 mm) thick: 2½ hr.
  • 3 in (75 mm) thick: 3¾ hr.
  • 3.5 in (85 mm) thick: 4¾ hr.
Whole

• 0.5 in (10 mm) thick: 8 min.
  • 1 in (25 mm) thick: 25 min.
  • 2 in (50 mm) thick: 1½ hr.
  • 2.5 in (60 mm) thick: 2 hr.
  • 3 in (75 mm) thick: 2¾ hr.
  • 3.5 in (85 mm) thick: 3½ hr.
  • 4 in (105 mm) mm thick: 5 hr.
  • 4.5 in (115 mm) mm thick: 6 hr.

i was in a similar thought mode when I got my 1300 last July, go big or go home... I have been most happy with the Timberline, Take a look at RemE’ s insulation project... The other night I was reverse searing and the FireBoard indicated 550 on the left (where the grill grates are), and the IR probe showed the lid at 115 ..Welcome to the world of the 1300, it is a great place to be...
This week I am making my first bacon....

Latest Discussions

Back