2 Timberline 850's Vs. 1 Timberline 1300

GrossPerfection

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline
I used to have 2 Timberline 850's. I sold one to purchase the Weber Smokefire and that was a disaster. Long story short I returned the Weber and am looking at a new TImberline. I can't decide if i want to buy another 850 or just move to one 1300. I liked the flexibility of two 850s but am also thinking it may be easier to just have one larger smoker. What are everyones thoughts? I have a family of 4 but more than 5 times a year i will cook for a large group of people. My initial thoughts are since they are only $200 difference why wouldn't i get the big one. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I defiantly have a heavy vote for to 850's. Started with one 575, and my life changed when I went to two. It allows a all day smoke of a pork butt, brisket, or whatever you choose without tying up your grill during those beautiful snowy evenings to cook your regular meal. Also fire them both when I want to smoke the main course or sides and then use the other one at a different temp. Going forward I will always have two for these exact reasons. Not to mention smaller grill, quicker heat up if only needing the space of one for a single dish, and they will look cool side by side.

Thank you for your input. I did like the versatility of having 2. My biggest hold up is if im already spending $1800 for the 850 why not spend the extra $200 for the 1300. Maybe an 850 and 1300 is in the future but that seems like a little bit of overkill.

I used to have 2 Timberline 850's. I sold one to purchase the Weber Smokefire and that was a disaster. Long story short I returned the Weber and am looking at a new TImberline. I can't decide if i want to buy another 850 or just move to one 1300. I liked the flexibility of two 850s but am also thinking it may be easier to just have one larger smoker. What are everyones thoughts? I have a family of 4 but more than 5 times a year i will cook for a large group of people. My initial thoughts are since they are only $200 difference why wouldn't i get the big one. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Its all grill capacity and I have the 780 used for 4 and works well for me. Bigger is not always better but its there when you need it.

You asked, so I'll bite: if I had a Timberline 850 and wanted a second smoker I'd buy another brand rather than having two Timbers. Not because I feel there's anything wrong with the Timber but just so I could have something different to play with and have them compete with one another.

i have considered some other brands. The main one i would consider would be the Yoder YS640. But i keep going back to the quality of cooks, performance, and looks of the Timberline. The Yoder is massive and heavy and kind of ugly for a back yard cooker. But i do like some of the features it has. Other than Yoder I have not been really impressed with other brand builds. The insulated Timberline is just so good at holding temps and is efficient with pellet usage. I really trusted the Weber name a little too much and jumped into the Smokefire before I should have.

It was a natural response for Weber fans to be first in line. I regret for users as yourself whom are experiencing the severe issues and I deeply regret that Weber is in this position right now; it's frustrating for the buyers and it's sad for the Weber name.

I have a 1300 and am glad I got the larger one. I too was thinking about the difference in cost and went with the larger one for marginal amount. I have no regrets.

Just curious, what was wrong with the Weber? It looked interesting to me, would really like to hear about it. Thanks!

Just do a YouTube search. Grease fires, software issues, flame outs, pellets not feeding. Basically you name it they are having problems with it. Luckily they took mine back and I should be getting my refund soon. I love Weber but it was a massive failure. That’s why I’m in the market for another brand.

I am also considering a camp chef woodwind 36. Has some interesting features for the price. I know it’s no timberline as far as build quality but seems to get pretty good reviews.

Just curious, what was wrong with the Weber? It looked interesting to me, would really like to hear about it. Thanks!

I think it's about 50/50 on the weber. Like most reviews on the internet you don't always hear all of the positives and the SmokeFire grill seemed to have issues right out of the box.

1. Pellets getting stuck on their way to the hopper.
2. Grease fires
3. Problem with temp hitting 600
4. Uneven cooking surface temps
5. Some quality control issues, augers/controllers not working out of the box.
6. Software problems

Some of the problems remind me of what people were going through with the release of the Traeger D2 grills. I'm sure the problems will be sorted out. I'm still planning on getting one to test and play around with but certainly wouldn't ditch my Traeger for it.

There are some reviews on this site:

I ok with the software issues cause I know it would get fixed but the design issues with pellets not feeding and the grease fires because of the mix of grease and ash can be fixed with software. If I were u I would wait. I returned my SmokeFire because of those issues. If I can’t set and forget and pellet grill it’s useless.

If I can’t set and forget and pellet grill it’s useless.

Bingo! That's the entire reason I bought a pellet grill. If I wanted to tend to cooks then I'd have a stick burner. I've never worried about a grease fire and never shut down durning a 10 hour cook. In fact, my Ironwood is undefeated cooking/smoking food :)

I would go with the 850 and a Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker https://www.masterbuilt.com/collect...ity-series™-560-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker. This bad boy would be great for searing or slow cooking with charcoal and they claim it will reach 750* in 15 minutes.

Back