1st attempt at a Tri-Tip

daddyscooltv

Grill Master of the Month
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
My 1st attempt at a tri-tip. The outside of it was a little dried out but the inside was tender and juicy. I salted it ahead of time and left it in the refrigerator overnight. I cooked at 250 until it reached 115 internal and then seared on a cast iron grill pan. After resting for 15 min the temp went up to 135.
tri-tip 2.jpg

tri-tip.jpg

Looks good! What rub did you go with?

Thanks.. I used Meatchurch Holy Cow..
Excellent choice! I use that rub on all beef I cook and started using MeatChurch Garlic & Herb with holy cow. Awesome combo.

I haven't had the pleasure of tri-tip yet, but it looks like you NAILED IT dude. Nice job! (y)

Love Tri Tip, and cook it every chance I get Yours looks great but I know what you talking about with the dry edges. I am thinking the secret is to cook it like a steak and not a roast. This works for me, and alway gives me an edge to edge rosy pink medium rare which will cure your complaint about dry on the outside. (that's the grey brown band at the outer edge of the cut you can see in the pics) . 1. I put my rub, (usually traditional Santa Maria, coarse kosher salt, cracked pepper, dried flaked garlic) on a least two hours prior to my cook. 2. Put it in a glass baking dish and cover the top with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Moisture will leave the meat and then be pulled back in along with the salt but you need the full 2 hours or even more if you have the time. if your Tri Tip is really fat on the thick end, you can even set a bag of frozen peas on top of the thinner end to make it colder. 3. Don't bring it up to room temp, but put it on a hot grill straight out of the fridge. Sear it first and then bring it up to 125 IT slowly, Pull it and put it in a cooler for 30 min. Perfect every time edge to edge. Just my two cents

Love Tri Tip, and cook it every chance I get Yours looks great but I know what you talking about with the dry edges. I am thinking the secret is to cook it like a steak and not a roast. This works for me, and alway gives me an edge to edge rosy pink medium rare which will cure your complaint about dry on the outside. (that's the grey brown band at the outer edge of the cut you can see in the pics) . 1. I put my rub, (usually traditional Santa Maria, coarse kosher salt, cracked pepper, dried flaked garlic) on a least two hours prior to my cook. 2. Put it in a glass baking dish and cover the top with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Moisture will leave the meat and then be pulled back in along with the salt but you need the full 2 hours or even more if you have the time. if your Tri Tip is really fat on the thick end, you can even set a bag of frozen peas on top of the thinner end to make it colder. 3. Don't bring it up to room temp, but put it on a hot grill straight out of the fridge. Sear it first and then bring it up to 125 IT slowly, Pull it and put it in a cooler for 30 min. Perfect every time edge to edge. Just my two cents
The part of covering it after salting kind of makes sense. When I took it out of the fridge after sitting with salt on it overnight uncovered to me I thought wow this looks dried out already.. I even sprayed it a couple of times during the smoke with beef broth. Thanks for the suggestion I will try covering it next time.

Yeah, you don't want to pull out the liquid and then let the dry air in the fridge evaporate it. Also over night seems a little long, I usually go just 2 or 3 hours. On one cook I did, I actually brined the Tri Tip overnight in a mixture of apple juice, orange juice, salt and honey. It worked pretty well, but I usually don't have that kind time.

I use Holy cow with Holy gospel. That looks great!

I tried your method on my 780 yesterday. Taste was great! For my liking I think I will temp to 135 next time.

Yeah, Pull temp is a matter preference for both taste and texture. You can count on probably a 7 dg push above your pull temp. (The amount of push depends on you cooking temp, the lower your cooking temp the lower your push and viceaversa. Luckly for us, both my wife and I like a true medium rare.

I set the temp at 165 and the smokiness of the meat was amazing. I will definitely try this method again.

Yeah you nothing to get much of push at that low a temp, best to just pull it at your actual serving temp.

My 1st attempt at a tri-tip. The outside of it was a little dried out but the inside was tender and juicy. I salted it ahead of time and left it in the refrigerator overnight. I cooked at 250 until it reached 115 internal and then seared on a cast iron grill pan. After resting for 15 min the temp went up to 135.
View attachment 1621

View attachment 1623
Love Tri-tip...how long was your cook at 250?

My method is a reverse sear. I season the meat with SPG at room temp, place in grill at 225* until IT reaches 120*. Then pull the tri-tip off the grill and cover. Ramp up the grill temp to 450* and then sear meat at high temp to 130-135* IT. Usually about 5 to 8 minutes per side. Then pull and rest meat for 10 minutes. Perfect medium rare edge to edge.

Attachments

• A35433F6-5B17-4BFB-88D5-06278F85DB9C.jpeg
    A35433F6-5B17-4BFB-88D5-06278F85DB9C.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 42

Latest Discussions

Back