“Settle in place” smoke was a bust- temp issues

PPitBoss

Reaction score
Grill
575 Pro
My Pro 575’s temp problems have gotten worse ruining a high end rack of ribs I bought during “settle-in-place”. Working from home is the ultimate situation for smok’n meat during the week yet I have lost confidence in my 575’s ability to manage and report temperature.

Is there any hope for the 575 to be consistent? I’m about to dump my 575 and buy a Louisiana Grill recommended by colleagues or maybe the new Weber. No cheap Chinese based ESP32 (Espressif) WiFi processor used there. Can you restore my faith or is this a lost cause??? (By the way, I selected Traeger after being inspired by an article in a 2019 Harvard Business Review article that outlined mgmt’s effort to rebuild and relocate the company).

btw - I’ve read the 20 “page” thread on temp issues. Wasn’t encouraging (I have the latest firmware)

Unfortunately this reply will probably not clear anything up for you, but if we aren't talking about it then nothing will happen. I currently am running two Pro 575's and have had zero issues of what I have seen stated on reddit, these forums, or Facebook. I sometimes wonder if we are only seeing the bad reports of 575's and not the responses of users that are having success. With that being said I'm currently under NDA with the new app beta, but prior to the new app my grill's report fast, never had temp swings that were more than 5-10 degrees, and had steady cooks on a multitude of different meats. It's unfortunate that it seems there are is such an inconsistency with the new models, but apparently I'm one of the lucky ones with a working pair. I don't feel like I do anything different than most users but I do clean my rtd (temp sensor) while vacuuming and do a quick vac job after each hopper. Not sure if that is to frequent or not enough but appears to be fine for me. I wish I could help, but unfortunately I'm not having temp swings or issues getting to temp (I have tested and checked with 3rd party thermometers) at this. I also feel like if contact Traeger they should be able to look at graphs or data in regards to temp but then the environmental aspect comes into play and they would probably be of no help.

Unfortunately this reply will probably not clear anything up for you, but if we aren't talking about it then nothing will happen. I currently am running two Pro 575's and have had zero issues of what I have seen stated on reddit, these forums, or Facebook. I sometimes wonder if we are only seeing the bad reports of 575's and not the responses of users that are having success. With that being said I'm currently under NDA with the new app beta, but prior to the new app my grill's report fast, never had temp swings that were more than 5-10 degrees, and had steady cooks on a multitude of different meats. It's unfortunate that it seems there are is such an inconsistency with the new models, but apparently I'm one of the lucky ones with a working pair. I don't feel like I do anything different than most users but I do clean my rtd (temp sensor) while vacuuming and do a quick vac job after each hopper. Not sure if that is to frequent or not enough but appears to be fine for me. I wish I could help, but unfortunately I'm not having temp swings or issues getting to temp (I have tested and checked with 3rd party thermometers) at this. I also feel like if contact Traeger they should be able to look at graphs or data in regards to temp but then the environmental aspect comes into play and they would probably be of no help.

Does the beta version allow for temperature graphs? I really wish they would have some what to plot the trends in the app...any other major changes from the current version?

Unfortunately I don't watch it close enough to notice major trends, but I do find pretty fast acting and consistent temps on my Ironwood.

Does the beta version allow for temperature graphs? I really wish they would have some what to plot the trends in the app...any other major changes from the current version?

Unfortunately I don't watch it close enough to notice major trends, but I do find pretty fast acting and consistent temps on my Ironwood.
I really wish I had the liberty to share, but unfortunately with the NDA I don't want to put myself into a bad position. I will simply say you will be happy with the improvements I have seen so far. Sorry. I'm sure soon enough it will be out for general.

I really wish I had the liberty to share, but unfortunately with the NDA I don't want to put myself into a bad position. I will simply say you will be happy with the improvements I have seen so far. Sorry. I'm sure soon enough it will be out for general.
Ah, was scratching my head on NDA, get it now. Thanks for info. Hopefully we see it soon!

I'm jealous Mike R as the 575 reported temp is highly inconsistent with multiple 3rd party thermos (different brands). I also clean and vac it out every 1-3 cooks. Despite the number of experiments I try, the probe calibration is sadly way off. I wanted the WiFi model as I live a busy life and need to be away from the smoker often but if I don't trust the readings then value of WiFi is low.

BTW - I can't find where to buy the temp RTD/Thermocouple/ device for the 575- not listed on Traeger, Amazon, or BBQ Guys. Was willing to try an inexpensive replacement. Traeger has a video on how to replace it but can't buy it.

I'm jealous Mike R as the 575 reported temp is highly inconsistent with multiple 3rd party thermos (different brands). I also clean and vac it out every 1-3 cooks. Despite the number of experiments I try, the probe calibration is sadly way off. I wanted the WiFi model as I live a busy life and need to be away from the smoker often but if I don't trust the readings then value of WiFi is low.

BTW - I can't find where to buy the temp RTD/Thermocouple/ device for the 575- not listed on Traeger, Amazon, or BBQ Guys. Was willing to try an inexpensive replacement. Traeger has a video on how to replace it but can't buy it.
Contact Traeger and ask for a warranty replacement?

As a long-time user of Traegers, I'm still getting used to my new Pro 780. For the most part, I like it, but the measurement and recording functions of the app are lacking.

I suggest. if you really want to know what's going on during sessions, and save them for later guidance and experimentation, try a good multi-probe wi-fi connected remote thermometer. The one I us is Fireboard, but there are others.

If I were in your shoes I'd list specific, detailed examples of your experiences in order to expand this thread to a more meaningful discussion on possible causes-remedies.

If I were in your shoes I'd list specific, detailed examples of your experiences in order to expand this thread to a more meaningful discussion on possible causes-remedies.

Traeger Indicated internal temp is 245-250 but 2 different 3rd party external probes measured 210-215. Traeger integrated Meat probe was lower than 3rd party meat probe by roughly 4-7 degrees below 100F and was running 5-8 degrees above other probe when over 140-150F range. The time between 100 to 140F occurred while I slept so not sure when the two temp curves crossed over.

Assuming this FAQ applies to your Pro 575, is it possible it could help correct your food probe issue? But since it changes the offset by degrees I don't know what results you will see when you check the low end vs the high end temps. Rec Tec does their offset adjustment by a percentage rather than degrees.

But having said all that, this FAQ says that the accuracy should be +/- 5 degrees. I have never used my Traeger probes because I prefer my third party device for logging and saving data.

Hopefully others can advise if and how it's possible to make a change so that your pit temp is more accurate.

Annotation 2020-04-04 084816.png

My Pro 575’s temp problems have gotten worse ruining a high end rack of ribs I bought during “settle-in-place”. Working from home is the ultimate situation for smok’n meat during the week yet I have lost confidence in my 575’s ability to manage and report temperature.

Is there any hope for the 575 to be consistent? I’m about to dump my 575 and buy a Louisiana Grill recommended by colleagues or maybe the new Weber. No cheap Chinese based ESP32 (Espressif) WiFi processor used there. Can you restore my faith or is this a lost cause??? (By the way, I selected Traeger after being inspired by an article in a 2019 Harvard Business Review article that outlined mgmt’s effort to rebuild and relocate the company).

btw - I’ve read the 20 “page” thread on temp issues. Wasn’t encouraging (I have the latest firmware)
I just changed the thermostat and controller on my nearly new Silverton (Costco—620) after several months of horrible temperature issues. It is now everything I dreamed of! Holds perfect temperatures now, but it was very frustrating getting here.
Make a Warrantee claim and they’ll send you new parts.

I just changed the thermostat and controller on my nearly new Silverton (Costco—620) after several months of horrible temperature issues. It is now everything I dreamed of! Holds perfect temperatures now, but it was very frustrating getting here.
Make a Warrantee claim and they’ll send you new parts.

Was this a warranty replacement?

I put a couple of chuck roasts on at 165 and it went up to almost 200 degrees. It dropped into the 180's and after quite some time, it finally settled in at 165, or within a few degrees. Still have no idea why it would go that high initially. I also had a difficult time getting the thing to ignite. Its would say, "igniting" then shut off. I t did this a bunch of times. I wen in the house and it seems that is when it actually ignited,........makes no sense to me.

Latest Discussions

Back